Breakfast is the first meal of the day – the most important meal of the day. What you have for your breakfast is what decides the rest of your meals – why? Because if you’re having foods that trigger your heartburn at the beginning of the day, the rest of your day is simply going to be spent in countering the reflux effects…and that means the remaining meals will be severely restricted.
But there is away to bypass all that pain and torture – by having breakfast that’s acid reflux friendly, and least likely to trigger heartburn. And to that end, here are 4 heartburn friendly breakfast ideas for you to try—each of these recipes make for delicious meals, high in nutrition and have very low chances of triggering a heartburn episode.
So here are the recipes to try—
#1 Banana Berry smoothies:
The easiest and healthiest way to kick start the day is by having a healthy smoothie. And this one is high in vitamins and essential nutrients—to have this smoothie you need:
- Ripe bananas (small) – 2
- Strawberries (hulled and halved) – 12 ounces
- Blueberries – 6 ounces
- Raspberries – 6 ounces
- Fat free yogurt – 12 ounces
All you have to do is—
- Place the bananas and the berries to the blender. The yogurt goes in next.
- Blend and enjoy.
#2 Apple Oatmeal:
Another easy recipe to try for breakfast – it gives you a protein boost for the day ahead and does not trigger heartburn…for this recipe you need…
- Apple juice – 3 cups
- Ground cinnamon – ½ tsp.
- Quick cooking oats – 1 and ½ cups
- Apple (chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Maple syrup (optional) – 1/4th cup
- Raisins – 1/4th cup
- Walnuts(chopped) – 1/4th cup
- Fat free vanilla yogurt – 4 tbsp.
Here is how to prepare it—
- Take a medium sized saucepan and combine the apple juice and the cinnamon. Bring it to a boil.
- Stir in your oats, apple, raisins and the maple syrup.
- Now reduce the heat and let it cook till the juice is absorbed. Keep stirring so it doesn’t stick.
- Fold in your walnuts.
- Serve in a bowl, top with yogurt.
#3 Breakfast wraps:
This recipe takes hardly 10 minutes to prepare and is perfect when you don’t have much time but want something healthy and filling for the day…
For this recipe you need the following…
- Whole egg – 1
- Egg whites – 2
- Low fat flour tortilla – 1
- Reduced fat shredded cheese – 1 tbsp.
Here’s how to make it—
- Whisk the egg whites and the egg together and cook in a non stick skillet. You want it to be like scrambled eggs – soft and creamy.
- Place the tortilla in between two damp sheets of parchment or kitchen paper and heat it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.
- Once the egg reaches desired consistency, scoop it up and spoon it along the center of the tortilla.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and roll it – voila! Your egg wrap is ready to eat.
These were the simple and quick recipes…moving on to something a bit more complex…
#4 Ham and cheese – strata
Sometimes, you need a little more than just a heavy breakfast – you need brunch. And we have the perfect recipe for you to try—for this brunch recipe you will need the following…
- Day old French bread (cut into small cubes) –10 ounces
- Whole eggs – 2
- Egg whites –4
- Skim milk – 2 cups
- Reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese (shredded) –1 cup
- Dijon mustard – 2 tsp.
- Frozen spinach chopped, thawed and squeezed dry –10 ounce package
- Lean cooked ham (chopped into little pieces) – 4 slices
- Freshly ground pepper – add to taste
Now for the method of preparation—
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Take a 11” X 7” baking dish and coat with non stick cooking spray.
- Take a large bowl and add the egg, egg whites, and whisk.
- Next, add milk, cheese (half of it), mustard, the spinach and the ham.
- Stir all of the ingredients together.
- Add your bread cubes and toss.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and top it with the rest of the cheese. Ad the pepper on top.
- Bake it uncovered for at least 40 minutes.
- Ready to serve.
So there you have it – 4 healthy heartburn friendly breakfast ideas that you can try any time…any day, without having to worry about bloating and gas and the rest of the heartburn symptoms for the rest of the day!